MATH 206 FALL 2016| Catalogue description | Prerequisite | Course Objectives | Syllabus | Withdrawal | Grading | Academic Conduct | DRC Statement |
PREREQUISITE: Math 110 or Satisfactory performance on the Placement Exam
- To understand and connect concepts of discrete mathematics to real world problems and computer modeling
- To develop mathematical reasoning and problem solving skills associated with discrete and finite structures.
- To develop abilities in the application of logical reasoning, conventions and usage in mathematics, including mathematical induction
Click for detailed syllabus with dates.
WITHDRAWAL: The last day for undergraduates to withdraw from a full-session course is Friday, October 14, 2016.
GRADING: Grades will be assigned on the basis of 650 points, as follows:
- 3 hour exams worth 100 points each
- Quizzes and/or homework, 150 points total
- Final exam, 200 points
Discrete Mathematics, fifth edition, by Dossey, Otto, Spence, Vanden,
and Eynden (publ. Addison Wesley).
ACADEMIC CONDUCT: Academic honesty and mutual respect (student with student and instructor with student) are expected in this course. Mutual respect means being on time for class and not leaving early, being prepared to give full attention to class work, not reading newspapers or other material in class, not using cell phones or pagers during class time, and not looking at another student's work during exams. Academic misconduct, as defined by the Student Judicial Code, will not be treated lightly.
DCR STATEMENT: DRC STATEMENT: Northern Illinois University is committed to providing an accessible educational environment in collaboration with the Disability Resource Center (DRC). Any student requiring an academic accommodation due to a disability should let his or her faculty member know as soon as possible. Students who need academic accommodations based on the impact of a disability will be encouraged to contact the DRC if they have not done so already. The DRC is located on the 4th floor of the Health Services Building, and can be reached at 815-753-1303 (V) or email@example.com.
Last update: 9/16/2016 (D. Grubb)